Saturday, May 2, 2009

Wire Heart Bookmarks


Last week I made some hearts out of copper wire to use as bookmarks (inspired by these Martha Stewart paper clip charms I've been wanting to make for years). I just followed these directions:
  • Cut a 5" length of 20 gauge wire (I used copper from the hardware store)
  • Bend in the middle at a 90 degree angle
  • Grip each end of the wire with round nose pliers and roll towards the center to form a heart
I rough hammered mine and aged them with a torch, then packaged them up to give to some friends.

15 comments:

Hannah said...

LOVE them, Jessica!!!

Christina J. said...

These are so cute! I know I have some 20g copper wire around here somewhere...

Ivana said...

fantastic!!

Aelyn said...

Oh I love these! They're so adorable =)

A Beaded Affair said...

These are cute and I love anything to do with copper.
Lois
http://www.abeadedaffair.com

Jodi said...

These are adorable Jess!

UK lass in US said...

These are great. I saw them on crafty crow this morning and made an apple shaped one for my son's teacher straight away. Thanks!

jess said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone...

UK Lass in US: Oh, an apple bookmark is a fantastic idea!

Tifani said...

What a great craft! I'm going to have the girls in my daughter's bible group make these this week.

Wendy said...

These are lovely, and your packaging takes them from "trinket" to "pressie!" Nicely done!

Amanda said...

Love these! Thanks for sharing the idea ~ your packaging looks great as well. Running out to hardware store now... :)

kiran said...

they are ingenious n amazing.........
i'll olso try n make some for frnz....... :)

edharob said...

Hi, those bookmarks you made are beautiful! What kind of torch did you use to age the copper?

jess said...

Edharob...Thanks for the comment! I just used a little butane torch I have from the hardware store.

Anonymous said...

I used 3 gauge copper wire and it was pretty hard to bend it in right shape, however now bookmark will be much stronger and won't bent easily. For thicker wire i suggest to heat it up before hammering it.